Innovation Works’ mission is to increase the success rate of the region’s technology companies and technology-adopting manufacturers by providing business expertise, direct investment and hands-on support.
- The Business Development Associate supports the efforts of IW’s Business Development department, which is responsible for IW’s fundraising, relationship management and policy and advocacy efforts. More specifically, the department builds and manages relationships with local and national foundations, federal agencies, and corporate partners in an effort to diversify and sustain IW’s funding. The department strives to create relationships that complement IW’s role in the Pittsburgh community, as well as relationships more broadly in Pennsylvania and nationally that help IW gain greater visibility and exposure that could lead to possible funding support, key strategic partnerships, or policy/advocacy influence.
- The Business Development Associate serves in a support capacity to the Director of Business Development. In this capacity, the Business Development Associate is responsible for report and proposal preparation and submission, supports compliance reporting-related matters associated with funding sources, assists in identifying potential sources of funding, and assists in managing relationships with potential funding sources and partners as well as cultivating his/her own relationships with these groups.
- The Business Development Associate provides support to other departments across the organization in order to develop a more complete understanding of the operation and critical needs of various departments.
- Maintain tracking of funding opportunities (foundations, government agencies, etc.) and compliance reporting with various stakeholders.
- Draft, edit and finalize all proposals and reports with stakeholder/funding sources. Coordinate feedback and editing from others at IW on all proposals and reports.
- Support the building and maintaining of relationships with certain government agencies and foundations to solicit funding for IW and manage compliance with those funding sources.
- Build and maintain relationships with regional stakeholders and organizations in order to forward IW’s goals of funding diversity and cross-sectoral collaboration.
- Coordinate communication and management of relationships with select corporate partners to foster a broad variety of engagements.
- Support the administration and tactical implementation of certain programs within the Business Development Department (community engagement initiatives, Intern Program, Innovation Adoption Program, etc.)
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum three (3) years experience in business development and grant writing is a must, with relationship management and/or project management experience preferred.
- Prior entrepreneurial experience and/or non-profit experience preferred.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong relationship management and “people” skills
- Self-starter willing to take initiative
- Strong sense of accountability and attention to detail
- Ability to juggle many competing priorities/deadlines
- Schedule flexibility based on departmental needs
- Highest personal integrity and team-orientation
Innovation Works is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in employment and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military veteran or any other classification protected by law.